Sunday, March 04, 2007

Los Angeles Marathon

So, today, I got up at 5:30a to go meet my friend at Runyon Canyon and get in a sunrise hike before the marathon started and traffic would be effed all day. Just before I leave, I get online to review the marathon route and --shit-- streets are blocked from 3am on. Surely, they must be allowing some cars somwhere through on east/west streets, right?

So, I head off. Get as far as Gower and there's nothing more I can do. I head south hoping to find some way to go. South doesn't do it. Every street is blocked. So, I make an executive decision and call Tom. "I give up." Sorry, Tom, but some hurdles cannot be overcome.

I turn around, head back north and park by the Observatory. It's me and a good chunk of Asian L.A. (seriously, not that I have a problem with it, but are asian americans the only people who hike in Griffith Park early in the morning? seriously? it's weird.) I climbed the trails to Dante's View and, after the rain of last week and the wind of this weekend, the views are stunning.

Coming down the hill, I decide that I'm going to park my car near the Vermont red line station and take the metro to Hollywood and Vine to watch the marathoners at mile 4. Boy, am I glad I did that. As always, the marathon inspires --from wheelchair athletes to women, men, children, groups, the elvises and all. Just a sea of humanity bobbing and weaving down Hollywood Blvd. and Vine St.

Really really great. And the crowds were enormous. The marathon changes route every year butI think they finally nailed it. This was the perfect route.

Now, if they can only figure out how to manage traffic prior to the race...

Pics to come, perhaps later today, if I can figure out how to download them off my new Razor (suggestions and hints are appreciated).

No comments: