Monday, July 21, 2008

Facebook Friends

I get messages. Today was a doozy:

Eric says, "So the score is 30-0 and there's a basehit to left, simpson comes up with a long throw from the outfield and crakow tags him out at the plate to preserve the shutout. Oh those beautiful summer softball days.".


This is from a guy I literally haven't seen or heard from in almost 30 years and the message was right on the money. I saw his name and I immediately wondered if it was him. I read the request and I knew it was.

I was 12 at the time, I couldn't have been over 5 feet tall and our playground was on asphalt. No grass. I remember distinctly that we were kicking ass and we wanted to keep the shutout. The guy hit the ball hard. He rounded all the bases. Eric -- who had an amazing arm -- hurled it at me and the hitter, who must have been ten feet tall and ten feed wide, came charging at me. The ball reached me first and i caught it. Then the hitter. He barreled over me like the five foot tall kid I was and...and...and I held the ball.

Hitter out. Game over. Shutout preserved. Team rejoiced.

Totally one of my favorite childhood memories and all brought back to me out of the ether on Facebook.

No comments: