Wednesday, December 06, 2006

L.A. Taco Truck Lady - An L.A. Love Story

I live on the eastside -- though that's debatable these days -- and work in Beverly Hills. Yeah, the commute's a gas. Anyway, one of the nice things about where I work -- and this is true about most office buildings all over the city -- is that we're on a regular route of a taco truck.

And, oh sweet jesus, I do love our taco truck and our taco truck lady. She and her meals on wheels are in front of my very building every day -- rain or shine -- at 9:30a and 1p. Every day.

The food is voluminous and quite tasty. The breakfast burrito, though, is legendary. A brief description, if you will: A large flour tortilla overstuffed with at least 3 eggs, a heaping amount of cheddar cheese, a slab of hash browns, a large thick slice of ham, bacon and sausage. Oh, and the bacon and sausage are actually wrapped in the ham. Yes, I said wrapped. It's like a meat wrap inside a Burrito wrap. Crikey!

Here's how you eat it. You take two small bites off the top and then just before every subsequent bite, you fork in a little of her homemade salsa. Honestly, this one meal could end world hunger. I have at it at 9:45 and I swear to God, as my witness, I can't even consider eating until 4ish.

I have started to vary it a tad, though. It's actually too much. Sometimes no hash browns and ham. Sometimes no cheese. Today, though, I found the perfect combination: No ham and an extra piece of bacon. It filled me and, yet, I could actually have a small salad around 2:30.

Anyhow, this whole post really is about the truck lady. I don't know her name, but I love her. I think she's Korean and the ladies who work inside the truck cooking are latino. What's really amazing, though, is that she speaks Spanish more fluently than English.

God, I love that and I love L.A. for that. So, here's to you Korean Spanish-speaking Taco Truck Lady! You're the best and your breakfast burritos are unparalleled!

No comments: