Sunday, September 09, 2007

York Pub or My Birthday Project #19

Yeah, I know. I'm supposed to do a new thing a week. So, sue me. Well, don't sue me, but do give me a little lee way. Sometimes you just want to do the same old, same old. So, I'm refining My Birthday Project to doing at least 40 news things during my birthday year. Hell, I'm nearly half way there.

So, with no further ado, I went to The York (a newish gastropub) in Highland Park last night with Dave, Connie (help Connie raise money to fight cancer), Jill and, of course, Carl. I had heard a lot about it and Jill and I had been discussing off and on doing something on the eastern side of things -- as she just moved to northeast of Downtown -- and so York it was.

The York sits on a pretty grimy stretch of York ave, but once you enter, you enter a whole new world. It's distinctly urban and has a touch of hipster, but it's also quite relaxed. Carl and I got there early so we could grab a booth (There are no reservations and you order from the bartender.).

Though, service was a tad slow and/or spotty, the food and drink was great. We started with the salami and cheese plate. Delish. Great oiled and toasted bread, blue cheese, cheddar, small grapes. Very nice!

Later we primarily ordered burgers which were large, meaty and juicy with a lovely almost-brioche bun and Dave ordered Fish and Chips. The fish was lovely, but it came with chips. Come on folks, hand over those delightful hand cut fries with your fish, not chips!

Overall the atmosphere was great, the food fabu, but it was a smidge pricey. Best of all, it's about a ten minute drive from home.

And, if there is one takeaway from the entire evening, while in a swimming pool, it's best not to put floaties around your ankles. No matter how much effort and struggle it takes, it's simply not worth it.

1 comment:

Brianna said...

I am happy that you and your friends are helping someone raise money to help them fight cancer, it is a very proficient thing to do.